Here are ten resolutions I propose for leaders of brands – a set of reminders to help guide your success in 2020 and beyond. Read them, live them, laminate them!
- As I lead my brand, I’ll keep two things front and center: The people we exist to serve, and the change we will create for them.
- I will remember that what we do matters far more than what we say. If we do something meaningful, we’ll have a story worth telling.
- I will craft a brand positioning statement that provides clear guidance for the meaning we seek to create.
- I will approach strategy as an ongoing commitment to winning. I will diagnose before I design, I will make clear choices for where to play and how to win, and I will set objectives that align with winning.
- I will be selective, knowing that it’s better to do a few things well than many things at parity.
- I will be more focused, more disciplined and more creative than my competitors. I will do more with less.
- I will remember that culture trumps strategy – but it’s not an either/or.
- I will treat my consumers, co-workers and partners with the respect they deserve.
- I will ask more questions, listen more, read more and learn from every possible source.
- I will use my brand as a force for good – to make the world a better place in some way.
What else is on your list of resolutions? Here’s to your success in 2020!
About Matthew Fenton: Matthew is a former CMO who helps brands and businesses to focus, grow and win. Since founding his consultancy, Three Deuce Branding, in 1997, he’s helped hundreds of brands to achieve “brand clarity.” His consulting services and speaking engagements help brands to focus on what matters through positioning, strategy and ideation. Contact Matthew here. He’s based in Chicago.
Copyright 2019 – Matthew Fenton. All Rights Reserved. You may reprint this article with the original, unedited text intact, including the About Matthew Fenton section.